Re: [foxboro] XP reboot causes Time to Jump 7 hours ahead

  • From: "Landry, Dwayne" <rdlandry@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 08:59:29 -0400

Another situation where the time will change even if you are all 8.X and MTK
and BTK are setup and running correctly is if you have a XP box that is running
stand alone and not connected to the mesh. If this box runs long enough without
seeing a time server it will become a time server and send out time pulses. If
you plug this box into the mesh while it's powered up there is a good chance
that it will broadcast a time pulse which will change the time to its time then
almost immediately the MTK will correct it. Even though it only changes it for
a fraction of a second the damage it done. You're historians will now have a
future time stamped value in it. Make sure you never plug a box into the mesh
that is already powered up or if you do, make absolutely sure that its time
matches your system time.

Dwayne Landry
PPG Industries Inc.