Re: [foxboro] XP reboot causes Time to Jump 7 hours ahead

  • From: Ken Heywood <KHeywood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 11:21:13 +0000

I discovered several years ago on a mixed XP 7.X/UNIX 6.X system that the time
really depends upon the box that is the Master Timekeeper. As explained to me
by TAC at the time, when you shutdown or reboot the current master timekeeper,
another box takes over. It's non-deterministic. There is no way of knowing
which box will become master. Now, Windows likes local time zone while UNIX
runs GMT. So, if your current XP box is the Master and you shut it down, one of
the UNIX boxes may try to take over. If it does, then you will get a jump in
the system time (unless you are running all boxes on GMT). The fix, as told to
me, is to run all boxes on GMT. There may be some magic in the mesh system now,
but I'm not aware of any.

Thank You,
Ken Heywood
Calibration Laboratory Manager