Re: [foxboro] Supervision and process engineer

  • From: "Pat Martens" <fox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 19:45:44 +0200

In general we try to minimise remote foxview as much as possible.
Process Engineering will get most of their required data out of Infoplus (or
PI).

For remote foxview we use exceed or for windows we use a windows 2003
terminal server in place of an AW70.
The terminal server is the boothost for the Mesh stations (incl. ATS) and
serves (in our case) 5 client PC's for remote foxview (can go up to 30).
The server hardware, to me, seems quite a bit more 'industry standard'
compared to the standard AW70 hardware (dual power supplies, RAID, etc).
One drawback: IT'S BIG !! (and you think it's going to lift of when you
switch it on; if it wasn't that heavy, it probably would!)

So far we have this running only on our offline test system but first
impressions are quite positive (apart from the normal drawbacks of windhose,
like you must reboot after adding new stations, only one ICC at a time,
etc).
No need to install exceed or similar software on the client PC, just open a
remote session and of you go! No problems with fonts etc.
With the help of some rsh extensions you can even have your nodebus graphic
distribution scripts completely automated (convert to .g, transfer, convert
to .fdf on the terminal server etc)

I did hear there are issues with the terminal server but so far we do not
have problems with it.

Regards,

Patrick Martens
Total Raff. Ned. NV.