Re: [foxboro] Sending email from a windows AW

  • From: Corey R Clingo <corey.clingo@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 12:33:10 -0600

I've used the sequence code approach on one system to do this; it works
well, at least for a small amount of data.  The emailing script is fairly
generic, taking tagname, value, and a little descriptive text as arguments
(which the sequence inserts when invoking it).  This is on a Solaris AW; I
don't have experience on a Windows one.

I also have Event-Driven Scripts on another system, which we use for email
notifications.  But you have to create an additional alarm device for it
to work, and insert that into all your compounds/station blocks for blocks
you want to monitor.  Also, the mechanism it uses to execute commands --
building a shell script and forking a shell to run it -- is problematic
with characters in any text that you want in the message that might have
significance to the shell.  It has other weaknesses as well (no wildcards,
arcane config file syntax).  Finally, I don't know if it even runs on
Windows.  While the source code that is included with Event-Driven Scripts
(!) might be educational someday, I plan to deprecate its use as a general
notification mechanism in favor of custom scripts monitoring the almhist
file as Ricardo suggests.

SMTP command-line tools do exist on Windows.  I don't know if there are
any free ones, though, if that's a problem.  SMTP libraries for Perl and
other scripting tools are generally available, however.  Does MKS Toolkit
have anything?

Corey Clingo
BASF Corp

From:
"Johnson, David" <David.Johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:
"foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:
11/08/2010 11:50 AM
Subject:
[foxboro] Sending email from a windows AW
Sent by:
foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello all,
I have a need to monitor a few Foxboro points and send an email when a
certain situation occurs.  I've sent mail from Sun boxes in the past,
which is easy with command line tools.  I am not familiar with this on
windows, put assume that it exists.

I have options....

They have Foxray ...
1.. I could build an alarm and have Foxray monitor this and send an email
when the alarm comes in.  The only problem there is the some delay on the
data collection (5 or 10 minutes depending on fast collect scheduling) and
they want a fairly immediate indication that a problem is occurring.

2.. I could write a piece of sequence code to kick off an external command
to send an email.

3.. I could write a simple looping shell script that uses omgetimp and
waits until the event occurs and then send an email.

4.. Foxpage probably does this and a lot more.

5.. There might be a better way of doing this that I haven't thought of.

So does anyone have any advice before I start dusting off some old Unix
shell scripts?

Thanks,
David