Re: [foxboro] Seagate ST38410A hard drive

  • From: "Schouten, Frits JF" <Frits.F.Schouten@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 10:20:30 +1100

In the past we've gone through the pain of replacing HDs with non Foxboro
provided HDs.

I've written some sort of loose procedure for myself.
Here it goes:
What to do if a Foxboro hard disk needs to be replaced with a non-standard item.

First of all look up the Foxboro hard disk specs on the DAY0 CDROM.
Boot from CDROM.

Change directory to /cdrom/utilities

View the script "ft_get_size" and look what possible "drive_types" are accepted
in this script.
Write down the name and "dev" of the Foxboro defined hard disk that is smaller
or the same size as the hard disk you are about to put in.
Example drive types are:
SUN9.0G,        dev=9000
SUN18G,         dev=18200
Seagate,        dev=4300
ST34321A,       dev=4300
ST38420A,       dev=8600
Etc, etc.

Change directory to /cdrom/datafiles
View the file form.system."dev"."stationtype" and write down the exact number
of cylinders specified in the backup partition.

Calculate the number of heads and sectors with the given number of cylinders to
make up the Foxboro defined disk size!

Example:
Our new drive is a Seagate ST318417N 18.4Gbyte
The best Foxboro fit is the SUN18G which is 18.2Gbyte (7506 cylinders) which
has 248 sectors/track and 19 tracks.

Now we are going to make the Seagate HD to look like the SUN18G.

From the command line type "format".
Select the available disk.
You are ending up with the format prompt:
Format>
Enter "type"
Enter "16" (other)
Fill in all the requested parameters using the same parameters as required for
the SUN18G.
Note: most modern disk are 7200rpm.

On the last entry fill in the disk type name using the Foxboro expected name
followed by a space and anything else you like to add:
"SUN18G (was Seagate ST318417N 18.4G)"
 Define a partition table.

Enter "part" at the "format>" prompt and a new prompt appears.
Part>
Select modify and use all free hog and default partition sizes. (all but backup
being 0)
Save this partition and quit from the partition definition.
Label the disk.
Select "disk" from the "format>" prompt to verify that the available disk name
has changed to the new name.
Quit the format utility.
Start "/cdrom/ia_install", answer the "type of station" questions and sit back
for up to 50 minutes to have the DAY0 installed on the new hard disk.

I hope this is of some use to you.
Cheers,
Frits.