Re: [foxboro] PI Server to I/A

  • From: duc.do@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:22:36 -0500

William,

We also migrated to this automatic fail-over between two PI interfaces a
couple of years ago, but had to abandon it for several reasons.

Our two PI interfaces serve the whole plant, each essentially covers half
the plant, so when one fails and the other has to pick up, it has to double
the data traffic passed to the PI system. The extra load created problems
for our particular set-up. It may work well elsewhere without the same load
we saw.

Another problem is the additional peer-to-peer connection on the CPs for the
back-up interface (even though the data is collected through only one
interface at any given time), and with the proliferation of CP-10s in our
system at the time, we couldn't afford to spare the connection from the
limited number each CP-10 has.

Just a couple of caveats from one who's been there, done that.

Duc

--
Duc M. Do
Dow Corning Corp.