Re: [foxboro] P92 Quad KVM Extension

  • From: Ron Schafer <rschafer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 14:47:40 -0500

Chris Miller wrote:
Our distance is approximately 20-40' but I
can say that we have good video resolution and have only experienced some
minor issues with keyboard/mouse usb connections (USB can be finicky
sometimes).

We too use the black box kvm's with very good results. We have had some running
for 7-8 years w/no problems (ps2 type) and last year added the usb type. There
were a couple premature failures on the USB (within 1 month) but generally work
well. Our longest distance is about 50-60 feet.
        I wanted to respond to this because of a unique gotcha that I ran into
yesterday. I had a station having problems with USB mouse/kbd so I rebooted the
KVM's and the workstation. It seems that the P92 don't identify the keyboard on
the remote USB-KVM until after bios finishes. We get a kbd not found until
after bios is finished. When it rebooted I had a "Temperature sensor failure"
warning during the hardware initialization with a "press F1 to continue and F2
for setup". Since the P92 won't identify the KBD until after bios is up I was
stuck. The work around was to put another KBD in a local USB port and hit the
F1 and then remove it again. The basic functionality of the extenders works
great and very little problems. For KVM "AND" annunciator kbd cabling we used
Siemens industrial Cat6 which is easy to install. The Annunciator KBD also used
the 8 wires as I mangled an old cable and figured out how to wire it thru CAT6
cable as rs-432(or whatever it is) along with some db9 to rj45 connectors. It
has been working for about a year with little to no problems. Black Box is a
very reliable solution and they are Foxboro supported.

Now I have to figure out what this temperature sensor is all about in a P92.
(can someone say field service?lol)

Ronald G. Schafer

Distributed Controls System Administrator

White Birch Paper Company

Bear Island L.L.C. Division

10026 Old Ridge Road

Ashland VA, 23005