Re: [foxboro] Infusion ECS

  • From: "Johnson, Alex P (IPS)" <alex.johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 13:56:10 -0400

Minor editorial correct. I left of part of a thought. Too many
interruptions.
AJ

All,

This is a follow-up to Tom's earlier e-mail. Other questions and comments
are welcome. My contact information (as if you don't have it already) is
below.

AJ

Re: InFusion in general
There is a lot that I could say, but these are the key points:

Infusion Key Messages

1.      Visibility between plant and enterprise
2.      Unprecedented, affordable integration
3.      Unmatched productivity
4.      Foundation for business optimization

Basically, IPS has a lot to offer customers who want to run their entire
business better. InFusion widens our offering to more than DCS, SIS, SCADA,
and M&I. It provides us the opportunity to solve a different set of customer
problems than the ones most of our daily business addresses.

Don't think of InFusion as a replacement for anything. Think of it as an
add-on enhancement to what you have (whatever that may be) to run your
overall operation better.

I/A Series is still our pure DCS. Triconex is still our pure SIS. InFusion
is our ECS. So, if you are interested in controlling the entire operation of
the plant from the impact of customer demand through product shipment, we'd
like to talk to you about it. That's the focus of an ECS.

Re: FoxView and InFusion View (InTouch plus some enhancements)
We have many customers with a large number of operator consoles that run
InTouch for other parts of their plants and those customers have indicated
that they would like InTouch as an option for their I/A Series equipment.
The current InFusion View release supports those customers' needs.

FoxView remains the primary operator HMI for most sites since it has
advantages when used on existing facilities - display file compatibility,
training, performance, scalability of the displays, etc.

As for the future (and I've said this before), the HMI that we will be
selling 5 years from now is unlikely to be the code we are selling today
(InTouch or FoxView) though we expect to support Intellectual Property
preservation though display file conversion.

In the meantime, current customers do have InFusion View (InTouch plus some
enhancements) options that we think are valuable. In particular, we believe
that the use of InFusion View to represent a consistent vision of enterprise
wide data and information is extremely valuable and it is a core concept in
our ECS vision. To that end, you can put InFusion View on a P91 (Win2K3
Server with Terminal Services, a.k.a., InFusion View Server) and display its
graphics on the same AW70 that many customers have today. Additionally,
Cytrix has offered similar functionality for Solaris users.

Re: OPC DA and InFusion View (InTouch plus some enhancements)
InFusion View works with the I/A Series as follows:

1) Each WP directly connects to the control network and gets its data
   directly from the controller (as is the case with DM/FV; no gateways)
2) That there is a layer of software (a DAServer) between the OM and
   InFusion View that standardizes the data flow into InFusion apps.
3) Performance is good when used on a V8 system and we are working on
   enhancements to make it better with Nodebus data sources that are "across

   the ATS" from the operator console.

OPC DA is not used to access I/A Series data sources in support of InFusion
applications. OPC DA and a variety of other protocols could be used to feed
InFusion View from other sources, however.

Re: OPC UA
We expect to support OPC UA at the appropriate time, but we have no OPC UA
product announcements to make at this time.

Re: At any rate, "Infusion" depicts a more connected company that looks like
they are trying to consolidate their individual entities and assets under
one architecture.  Hopefully the marketing, sales, and purchasing groups of
each company will consolidate so they will be working together instead of
appearing like competitors.  I especially notice that with Foxboro and
Triconex.  We deal with ESSCOR but haven't done anything with SimSci but I
could imagine a possible competition between them.  That isn't a healthy
thing for customers to see.

We have spent a significant amount of time and effort to unify IPS. A core
part of the internal message or the last two years has been 1 company by
2006. I think you will see a closer alignment of the pieces of the
organization today than you would have seen a year or two ago. As we go
forward, that alignment from products through sales to implementation and
services should become seamless.

I welcome your questions and comments either on this forum or directly.

Alex Johnson
IPS System Architect
Invensys Process Systems
alex.johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx