Re: [foxboro] Foxview and access protection

  • From: "William C Ricker" <wcricker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 14:12:12 -0500

In FoxView you need to remember that if you have
a pick configured to 'dmcmd chng_env_dlg' that it
will display all the files in the environment
directory that end in '.env' .  The same is true
if you type <CTRL/E> at the workstation keyboard.
Further, if your 'Environment Directory' is different
than '/opt/fox/env', (cause you changed it in 'init.user')
you will get the '.env' files from both places.

The first entry in the FILE pulldown menu in all
standard environments is configured that way, and
as far as I know, there is no way to defeat the CTRL/E.
So the first thing you'll need to do is find an
alternative way to start up change environment scripts.

Now, these change environment scripts don't have to be
in '/opt/fox/env', nor in any other specific directory.
Perhaps they should go somewhere under '/opt/customer'.

Then all the environments under '/opt/fox/env' EXCEPT
'Initial.env' should be removed.  (Initial.env MUST be
of FoxView won't start up) You could then kick off
your environment changes by a number of methods.

A couple of ideas:

  Assign buttons on a Display Bar for each environment
  to the specific environments which should be available
  to that environment.

  Create a separate File menu for each environment which
  includes only specific environments. Perhaps on the
  standard "Change Environment" line, replace the
  'chng_env_dlg' with the specification of a second
  level '.mnu' file which only includes the desired
  environments.

  Create a File puldown menu for each different FoxView
  instance, including the name of each instance as part
  of the file name.  Use $DMNAME in the environment's
  menu bar def file ' xxx.mbr'.  Include in the File
  pulldown only the environments needed for that
  instance.

Good luck.

W C Ricker
FeedForward, Inc.