Re: [foxboro] Foxboro and Allen Bradley

  • From: "Murray, Steve" <SMurray@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 12:38:18 -0700

Hi Chad,

  We have three types of "Modicon Gateways" here.

  We have an old "Gateway for Modbus Devices"  PSS 21H-7K1 B3

  This has only one 9600 port and can be either directly connected to a
device or connected to a modem.  It works fine but is easily overloaded.

  We have two "Integrator 30 for Modbus Devices" PSS 21H-7G4 B3

  They have two RS-232-C (asynchronous) ports that can buzz up to 19.2, but
the two ports are

**ONLY SUPPOSED TO BE USED TOGETHER WHEN CONNECTED TO A REDUNDANT MODBUS
NETWORK!!!**

  This integrator 30 can access up to 64 different devices (Modbus limit) on
the Modbus network, but there is only supposed to be a single point of
contact.

  That being said, the Foxboro team that engineered our system assumed that
two ports on the Integrator meant they could hook up two different 584 PLC's
to them.  Big surprise - it didn't initially work.

  A CAR was sent back to TAC by our Foxboro installation team and the reply
was that we had
"A non-supportive configuration".  Thanks to a heroic effort by the Foxboro
installation team they were able to get the two PLC's working on the two
different ports, but it was quite a hassle and required several trips back
out to our site.

  I really appreciate that Foxboro was able to get it working, but I would
not recommend anyone else trying it.  We always show System Management
errors on both PLC's, and so we had to disable all System Alarms on this
gateway.

  Our third type of gateway is an "Integrator for Modbus Plus Devices" PSS
21H-7G5 B3

  This is a really great piece of hardware, but again it is only supposed to
be connected to the Modbus Plus network with one port.  The other port is
for a redundant Modbus Plus network.

  So there are several options depending on exactly which gateway you have.
The "best" option IMHO is having all the devices connected together in a
Modbus Plus network and plugging it into an "Integrator for Modbus Plus
Devices".  They are fast and can pass massive amounts of data back & forth.

  Second choice would be the Modbus network with the "Integrator 30 for
Modbus Devices" and a Modbus modem network.

  Stephen Murray
  Asarco