Re: [foxboro] FoxCAE Backdocumentation

  • From: "Lowell, Tim:" <Tim.C.Lowell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:40:19 -0500

Travis,

I have an idea, but it's not very good.

One thing you can do is use the "Plant Unit" assignment, if you are not
already using it, for all of your existing loops.  After you assign all
of your existing loops to units, your "Unassigned" list will be empty.

Next, make your LOOPID changes using ICC, and then do what you did the
first time and delete the whole FoxCAE block database (every compound in
every CP), and then re-import all the blocks.  You'll get the
"COMPOUNDLOOPID" construction when you backdocument them.  Save all
these loops.  They will automatically go to the "Unassigned" list in the
Loop Database.

Then, select each of the COMPOUNDLOOPID loops in the "Unassigned" list
and select "Loop...Delete Loop(s)" from the main menu.  You get a dialog
box that says "Delete Sheets of This loop", "Delete Tags of This Loop".
And "Delete Blocks of This Loop".  Check "Delete tags of This Loop", and
then "Delete Sheets of This Loop", but DO NOT check "Delete Blocks of
This Loop", and hit OK.  This will clear out your "Unassigned" loop
list, but you'll still have a bunch of undocumented blocks.

Finally, go to each of your original loops, one by one (yuck!), and
click on "Block...Insert Block" from the main menu.  You'll get a dialog
box with an "Undoc" radio button.  Click on that radio button, and
you'll see each one of your undocumented blocks, which is basically
everything at this point.  Then, loop by loop, add back in the blocks to
each loop.

Like I said, "Yuck!"  I tried it with a spare CP and a dummy FoxCAE
database, and it seemed to work, albeit very tediously.

I think the answer to your original question is, No, there is no
automatic way to do this.  If you are going to make a habit of editing
LOOPID's after the fact, you'll need to keep track of these changes
somewhere, and then manually move the blocks from one loop to the other
in FoxCAE later.

Tim Lowell
Control Systems Engineer
ConocoPhillips Trainer Refinery
(610) 364-8362
tim.c.lowell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

From: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
=3D
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 10:44 AM
To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [foxboro] FoxCAE Backdocumentation

Hello list. I am trying to run a backdocumentation of our system using
FoxCAE. I would like to use the method using LOOPID's to create loops =
=3D
based
on the current system configuration. To do this I took the following =3D
steps:
1. first uploaded all CP's
2. Selected "Undoc" blocks
3. Selected all compounds
4. Use the backdocumentation command (checked "Use the LOOPID parameter"
=3D
&
checked "Update Existing Loop information")

This created loops exactly as I want. I am then able to enter info into
=3D
the
loop sheets such as titles, refs etc.

Now, I would like to update these loops with a fresh system =3D
configuration.
To do this I took the following steps:

1. Deleted all current blocks, compounds, & CP's in FoxCAE (while =3D
leaving
the loops remaining with title block info etc).
2. Re-upload all CP's
3. Selected "Undoc" blocks
4. Use the backdocumentation command (checked "Use the LOOPID parameter"
=3D
&
checked "Update Existing Loop information")

Basically this is the same procedure as before. Only now, the blocks do
=3D
not
get updated into their original loops (named after the LOOPID). Now the
blocks are exported to new loops with the following naming convention:
'COMPOUND''LOOPID'.

My question is: How do I update existing loops with new CP uploads while
keeping the original loops (with my manually entered title block info) =
=3D
that
were created from the first backdocumentation?

Thanks,
Travis

Travis Meredith
DCS Programmer
Albian Sands Energy Inc
P.O. Box 5670, Fort McMurray, Alberta, T9H 4W1, Canada

Tel: +1 780 713 4767
Email: travis.meredith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Internet: http://www.albiansands.ca

=20