Re: [foxboro] Fear & Loathing in Las Vega$

  • From: drjohn@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 10:21:43 -0500 (CDT)

Quoting "Lowell, Tim:" <tlowell@xxxxxxxx>:

> Questions:
>
> 1)    You say NT is the long range direction.  Well, someone should
> inform
> Invensys that NT is not even in Microsoft's long range plans.  They
> are
> releasing a little thing called Windows XP on October 25th.  Is
> Invensys
> even considering building their new platforms around Windows XP, or is
> that
> a pipe dream, like getting an AW51 that runs even Solaris 7?

Actually that was my non-Microsofty view of the world.  The plan is to skip
Win2000 completely and migrate to XP.  In fact the stated goal was to have the
70 series running on XP mid 2002.

> 2)    How long range is long range?  When should I expect to replace my
> Sun Workstations?  Any idea on that at all?

My guess is a couple of years. It's hard to say because I don't think that they
know for sure yet.

> 3)    How does this affect the control stations?  Does ArchestrA involve
> building new control stations that can be upgraded on-line?

This answer also covers a previous question about control stations.   They are
NOT planning to make any changes to the operating systems of the Control
Stations.  The new direction is really the application layer stuff.  New
interface to displays, historians, and other components.  The gut level API
calls to control interfaces will remain for the foreseeable future.  So deeply
imbedded apps should still work correctly.

> And David, the general rule in Las Vegas, from what I've heard is:
> drinks,
> free; breasts, not.

I assure you the drinks aren't free.  You pay the dealer a $5 chip and get a $2
drink from the "free" waitress.