Re: [foxboro] FDSI driver AB CSP or FDSI Driver Ethernet/IP

  • From: Kevin Fitzgerrell <fitzgerrell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 11:26:39 +0900

I'm sure your WAG is spot on.  I even agree the generic base is a good
idea.  Execution is where this failed.
I understand (I think) why we needed separate DCI blocks for the FDSI rather
than extend the existing AIN, CIN, MCIN, as these interact with the FDSI at
a fairly fundamental level.  Since these were first announced on the
roadmap, user feedback has been that these need to be function and parameter
compatible with existing IO blocks.  As you point out, it's stupid to go RIN
-> AIN -> just to get, say, alarming functionality.  If the RIN had
connectable parameters compatible with the AIN, I could easily change over
in a migration without affecting links and function.  Same with PAKIN and
MCIN.  The critical part that was so badly missed was to give the PAKIN the
capability to present bits in the same orders and with the same outputs as
the MCIN.  Why re-invent the wheel?

Even if DCI blocks couldn't be parameter compatible with standard IO blocks,
I still don't understand how we can be this far along (8 years with DCI
blocks? 4 years of AB FDSIs?) and not have resolved manual MCOUT
functionality or PAKIN bit ordering issues...  As others have said in this
thread, it appears the FDSI driver development happened in a vacuum.  What I
would have loved to see would have been to write the AB30 to FDSI Migration
document first - nail down all the necessary features, functions, example
block structures, etc and then build the drivers to meet that function.
Having said that, I've got to admit it is an ongoing battle in my own
company to get control narratives, truth tables and detailed functional
descriptions written before project engineering is "finished".

Regards,

Kevin