Re: [foxboro] Copying control blocks from node to Mesh

  • From: <tom.vandewater@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 15:07:41 -0400

Pat,
        I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that is not a bug, it is
a feature of using MS Windows NT/XP/2003 Server.  It doesn't even have
anything to do with the MESH.  It would be the same trying to copy a
block from a CP hosted by an AW70 running on the same node as an AW51
hosted CP.  All of the larger system Solaris users have been able to
copy a block from any CP hosted by any AW51 on the network to any other
CP hosted by any AW51 anywhere else on the network for years but that
goes away in an MS environment.  The MS CP host won't even allow block
copies from another MS hosted CP.  You can only copy a block from one CP
to another in an MS environment if both CP's are hosted by the same MS
AW host.
        We did a test between our two AWXP boxes on the MESH.  The
results are listed below:

When trying to copy a block that exists from CP1 hosted by AWXP1 to CP2
hosted by AWXP2 the user experiences a short delay before the error
listed below is returned:
"SP ERROR - lck_chkpt  FAILED"

The same error is returned when trying to copy an existing block from
CP1 hosted by AWXP1 to a CP hosted by an AW51 or visa-versa.

When trying to copy a non-existent block from CP1 hosted by AWXP1 to CP2
hosted by AWXP2 the user experiences a short delay before the error
listed below is returned:
"FIND OBJECT   FAILED"

        The differences in the messages when trying to copy a block that
exists and a block that doesn't exist on a remote host tells you that
the ICC is using CSA to determine if the block you are trying to copy
exists but the MS servers don't have the access ability to copy the
block from any remote host.  This is just one more reason that buying MS
hosts for CP's isn't being easily accepted by users that used to have
better global access privileges in a Solaris environment.  This forces
the user to use an instance of FOXVIEW running on the specific AWXP that
hosts the CP to make an ICC change.
         Since we installed the MESH that currently only allows MS CP
hosts, we now have to leave our offices to go to the AWXP host location
to configure CP's hosted by that AWXP.  With Solaris we could access and
configure any CP in our plant from a DM running on any AW or WP51 in our
plant.  Using hummingbird on our desktop PC's and calling up a remote DM
on any Solaris box was very expedient for us.
        In a meeting with Thad Frost a few months back we asked if the
remote access function would work on the future Solaris on the MESH
hosts and he told us that it would.  We anxiously await Solaris on the
MESH but everytime we move closer, it seems to move farther away;<)  I
would expect that the new IEE makes it possible to copy blocks from one
CP database to another.