Re: [foxboro] Alarms one line

  • From: <tom.vandewater@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 13:32:36 -0400

        Excellent feedback, Sean.  When talking about your alarm
management project I know you are "right on" in saying that:
"This task would have seemed impossible had it not been for reports
generated by the alarm database."
        I talked with Ted Jirik in the past and I was impressed with the
RTS solution which isn't a proprietary application but a more open "Real
Time" solution that gives users a way to view/manage data generated by
Fox IA using a Browser based HMI.  Yes it is built on a MS backbone:(,
but it provides what I want to see in a browsable/queriable environment.
I want it to be known that I haven't purchased or used any RTS solutions
myself and have no personal or business ties to them.  I just like their
concepts and implementation strategy. My #6 comments were directed to
Foxboro to say there is a market for a Control System that stores all of
it's information in relational databases instead of individual
proprietary ones for each unique Foxboro application.  I personally
think that is the intent of Archestra, but who knows when it will be
available or what it will cost to implement?
        We have to remember that those legacy Foxboro applications were
written/designed in mid-late 1980's and the designers were limited by
disk storage, processor speed, available memory, network bandwidth, and
relational DB's that were in their infancy.  They did a great job given
those constraints but it is past time for those applications to be
replaced.  Maintaining backward compatibility with the legacy apps is a
huge yoke for Foxboro to carry along.  Maintaining the existing Object
Manager for data access consistency, while totally replacing the legacy
apps with state-of-the-art ones that are more flexible and capable
should be the goal.  Talented and capable users and 3rd parties are
already devising home cooked applications that give them a lot of what
they want, so Foxboro's new HMI and apps will have to be competitively
priced and feature rich in order to be accepted, (another tall order).
Cheers,
Tom VandeWater