Re: [foxboro] Alarms one line

  • From: "Doucet, Terrence" <tdoucet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 08:41:28 -0400

Brad,=20

"Cheap and Easy" might not be the best words to place in a specification
for a PC based system to look at your alarm messages and hope that it
will help you run your plant in a better way.   Make an internet search
for EEMUA. Read some of the literature that pops up.  The EEMUA=20
Publication 191 is a design guide for Alarm Systems and it costs
money so it will not show up, but you will get plenty of other=20
literature that references EEMUA.  There are software products that
should come up in your search that will definitely help you set up=20
your plant to run more efficiently and safely.

What is the average number of alarms that your operators see in 10
minute periods through out your day?  What is the maximum that they
have seen in a 10 minute period in the last month? Do you get alarm
floods? If you can get data like this, then you should be able to=20
get management to finance products or systems that will bring your
plant into line with industry best practice. It takes an operator=20
time to READ, UNDERSTAND and take ACTION on every alarm that comes
across his terminal. If he is swamped, he may miss a critical=20
warning that something is in danger.

Terry