Re: [foxboro] Adding a hard drive

  • From: "William C. Ricker" <wcricker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blong@xxxxxxx>, "'Foxboro'" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 18:13:22 -0400

Hi Brian.  Nobody answered your post, I see.  Well, con permiso....

It is pretty easy to add that second drive.  First, however, you
need to decide if it is to be a separate drive with it's own
independent file structure (as now you have /var, /usr and /opt),
or if it is to be concatenated with the /opt file system.

Concatenation to the /opt/system means that when you add this
second drive, the /opt system would now include both the existing
slice (partition) from the existing drive, plus all the space on
this new drive.  If you want the space to increase the amount of
data your  historian can store, this is a good way to go.  If
you want it for other storage, however, i would suggest against
this form.  You see, the complexity of backup and restore operations
increases when you concatenate as both drives are now essentially
in lock step.  It becomes fairly easy to botch up both of them in
backups and restore operations.

Also, if you want to concatenate, I am not going to describe it here.
There is an administrators manual which covers that operation better
than an e-mail ever could.

OK.  You want to add a drive and make it an independent file structure.

First, mount the drive into one of those funky "Aroura disk caddy's".
Thats the one you allready know in the AW51B.  The second drive goes
into the same kind of structure.

Shutdown the AW, open it up, and slide the new drive in on top of the
first one.  Ensure the thing's plugged in tight and that swing over
clamp is in place, then close up the box.  Hardware componant is completed.

As the box powers up, interupt the boot sequence with the STOP/A keystroke.

Restart the boot with command  "boot -r".  This causes the hardware config
to be scanned and the /dev directory of devices to be rebuilt.

Observe the system booting up.

Once the system is booted, you will have an accessable drive 1 (the first
drive is drive 3).

Verify that the drive is there using the command 'format'

Set up one or more slices (partitions), also the the utility 'format'.

Use 'newfs' to create a file system in each new slice.

Use mkdir' to create a directory in the root for each of the slices on
the new drive.This will be the point at which that slice is to be mounted.

Use 'mount' to mount each slice in the new drive the first time.

Edit file '/etc/vfstab' to create an entry for each slice so that it is
mounted on reboot of the system.

Each of these commands has a 'man' page.  I can send a bit more info on
each if you wish, but I didnt want this e-mail to get too big.

Good luck,

William C. Ricker
FeedForward, Inc.
Marietta, GA, USA