[foxboro] VB script on v.8.x I/A

  • From: "Lowell, Timothy" <TLowell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 15:52:25 -0600

For an advanced control project we're doing, we're looking to write a VB
application to calculate an inferred property and then somehow stuff the
result into an object manager object so that we can display and trend it
on the Foxview screen.  We're aware that Aspentech DMCplus and AspenIQ
(and OSI PI and others) have sophisticated calculation engines that can
be used to do these calculations, and we'll probably end up going that
way eventually, but in the near-term we just want to build a fairly
involved but still relatively quick and dirty calculation just to do
some preliminary evaluation.  Has anybody done this on a Windows-only
I/A System?  Or is HLBL the way to go?  The third-party we are working
with prefers to use VB, but I suppose I could try to convert it to HLBL
if I had to.  If anybody has used VB on I/A, I'd like to know generally
what you did and how you were able to get the OM values for the inputs
and send the outputs back to the OM.  It would save me the trouble of
recoding somebody else's code.

Thanks,

Tim Lowell

Control Systems Engineer