Re: [foxboro] [I] Re: FBM232 OPC to iFIX's "native" OPC server

  • From: "Liptock, Sheri A" <sliptock@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 17:05:50 -0500

Thank you for your info.  Yes your assumption is correct that we will
use the ALMSTA parameter, so that will work in an OPC DA server.
Followup questions please:

1.  After you confirmed that FBM232 works to read/write to "any" OPC DA
server, then I loaded FoxOPCDiagnostic tool on the (local) iFIX pc and
OPCDiagnosticTool browsed/found the iFIX OPC DA server and CLSID (no OPC
tags built yet).  So thank you for giving me the confidence to try that.
Although ultimately the FBM232 has to connect via DCOM to iFIX.

2.  If possible could you clarify or direct to any standards/info please
how to make sense of data types?    For example, with our DELTAV OPC
server then 2 of 2 (we only built 2 discrete so far to Foxboro) then
what is a DeltaV"Boolean" (an on/off pushbutton and output to valve) had
to be added as a RIN.  In one of those 2 examples the DeltaV actually
showed the datatype as floating point.

3.  When is the Foxboro OPC Server required (ie, outside of historian).
You are saying that the FBM 232 doesn't need to have a Foxboro OPC
Server to "write out" data?

Thank you very much.