[FMO] Stardust@home observations

  • From: standcmr@xxxxxxx
  • To: fmo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 14:30:45 -0400

Interesting numbers from StarDust ...

Of the movies that I have submitted, the total reviews of each movie range from
21 to 70, with the average appearing to be around 50 analyses.  That is a lot
of redundant viewing!

By comparison, Space Watch FMO Project images were viewed by 1 volunteer
observer and, if a submission occured, by the astronomer on duty, although a
brief project expanded the review to a second, more seasoned and proven
volunteer.

SETI at Home data blocks are analyzed by (typically) three volunteers ... more
if there is disagreement.

The StarDust analysis seems "rather deep".

We don't get to see stats for movies that no one has submitted ... perhaps I
can get an idea of depth by submitting a low number movie which obviously
contains no tracks and then promptly looking at the stats to see
agreement/views stats ... before the StarDust program has a chance to react and
send the phony-tagged movie out to a bunch more folks for analysis.  Would this
be "unprofessional?"  Too "nosey?"

It looks like there are over 8500 reviewers who have participated so far.  The
number is growing, and I think that many are staying with the program because
my "rank number" continues to get bigger after my 2-day holiday.

So, it looks like the project is well staffed, so far.
All on demand. Always Free.