[FMO] Experience and thoughts on Stardust@home

  • From: "Matson, Robert" <ROBERT.D.MATSON@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: fmo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 14:12:07 -0700

Hi All,

I couldn't get through to the site right at 11am (PDT), but about 10 minutes
later I was in.
I quickly got through the ten test movies and immediately went on to
reviewing actual
data.

If you were able to view at least 4 or 5 images, you probably noticed that
occasionally
they throw you a calibration image to test you for false positives and false
negatives.
I reviewed about 25 real movies and 11 or 12 intermingled test images before
the
system logged me out.  Since I got in right at the start, I doubt many
people could
have reviewed more images than this.

Of course, not knowing that I would be periodically calibrated, I got very
excited the
first time I saw an obvious trail!  Alas, all my trails were calibration
tests. (After
you submit your answer for a movie, you can check the counters at the lower
left to see if the prior movie was a cal movie or a real one.)

There should only be about 46,000 focus movies so far (11 aerogel tiles), so
if they
had even as few as 5,000 people log in today, those movies should all have
been
viewed in the first hour.  In other words, reviewers won't be the long pole
in the tent.
Ultimately we're probably talking about getting to view only a couple
hundred
movies each -- if that.  --Rob