[financeboyz] Re: US Bonds

  • From: "Radhesh Mohandas" <financerod@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: financeboyz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 10:35:22 -0700

 Kini,
  For 2-3 K state taxes are not a huge numbers. So u
may be able to find better rates on CD's. Currently
the bond rates are 4.4% and going down. Either case you may be able to get 1-2%
more on tying down your money. It this is a considerable portion of your
wealth, I would not recommend you to buy bonds. Bcoz - you may have some
immediate expenses where u might need the money - eg: buy a car, marriage, buy
a home .. in the next 10 yrs.
If you are an extremely busy person, or going out of US for a long time, then
bonds will be a predictable investment. But if you can devote some time for your
personal finances, you may be better off with stocks and mutual funds.

Boyz,
  Is there any other advantage of having bonds - can they be used as
collaterals? Are there other types of
competative bonds - other than US bonds?

-Cheers,
Radhesh