RE: email bounced for no apparent reason

  • From: "A. M. Salim" <msalim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:24:24 -0500 (EST)

Hi all,

> If I receive a report that one user sent an e-mail to another user, but it
> was rejected for no such user, and then sent another and that went fine, my
> first question is did you type the address correctly? Next question: Can you
> send me a copy of the notice, and of the sent message, which is sitting in
> your Sent box?

The message does exist in the Message Tracking log, however according to
the log the message was sent to another user (on some other mailserver!),
yet she got a bounce from a coworker's email who was probably cc:'d on the
email (the Message Tracker does not show cc: addresses I guess).

The error message as it appeared in the bounced email and reported by the
sender was as follows:

The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message was
sent to.  Check the e-mail address, or contact the recipient directly to
find out the correct address.

> BTW, you should never be opening up and viewing the Exchange log files. Use
> Message Tracking in ESM.

thanks for the tip, this is a useful tool!

best regards
Mike