Re: Win XP & Win2k passwd

  • From: "White, Piers" <pwhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 05:36:32 -0400

Easiest: Linux boot disks

There are Linux boot disks that have NT filesystem drivers and software that
will read the registry and rewrite the password hashes for any account
including the Administrators. It is as simple as:

shutdown or turnoff the PC
put the book disk in the PC and reboot
respond to the Linux prompts
the highest barrier is understanding unix media descriptors
select the account whose password hash needs to be rewritten & enter a new
password
reboot & access using the new password
This process requires physical access to the console and an available floppy
drive.

The following site provides the downloadable boot disk image, image to disk
utility, source code, and supporting documentation:
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/ This version can disable syskey
protect. They do note that turning off syskey under Windows 2000 damages the
SAM and is not to be attempted except as a last resort to reinstallation.
Watch for updates.

NT Toolbox (http://www.nttoolbox.com/) has a different but similar Linux
boot disk in their download section. Look for NT Admin Boot Disk

I have seen the Linux boot disks fail primarily on scsi-based boxes when the
boot disk did not have the proper scsi driver or when there was some problem
detected in the scsi setup. I have also seen PCs where the Linux boot disk
works but the SAM seems to be invisible to Linux (although its in its
standard location and later access with NTFSDOS(
http://is-it-true.org/nt/atips/atips174.shtml) allows it to be copied).

Hope this helps

Piers