TLS problem

  • From: "Mustafa Cicek" <mbcicek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 02:21:37 -0600

Hi!
We deployed Exchange 2003 (front-end and back-end). We configured
front-end Exchange as SMTP bridgehead server and created a SMTP connector.
We enabled TLS on the SMTP connector.
Exchange server can send/receive mails without any problem, if the remote
SMTP server supports also TLS. But If the remote system does not support
TLS, the mails cannnot be deliveried from Exchnage to remote SMTP.
EventView on front-end  has an Warning log like that:

"Event ID: 4007
Source: MSExchangeTransport

Message delivery to the host 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' failed while delivering to
the remote domain  'remote.domain.com' for the following reason: The
remote
SMTP service does not support TLS.
The SMTP verb which caused the error is 'STARTTLS'.  The response from the
remote server is '250-mforward.dtag.de Hello our.mailserver.com
[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx], pleased to meet you
250-ENHANCEDS'."

Normally Exchange should check the connection if the remote SMTP supports
TLS. If not, Exchange should send the mails without TLS. Why does not
function this? How can we fix this problem?

Thanks in advance.
Mustafa