Re: Relaying Problems - Exchange 2003

  • From: Chris Buechler <msexchange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 02:59:59 -0500

akk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I only have one problem - the one where domain users sending mail through
the server to external users are getting 5.7.1.

what you term as problem #2 only came about when I tried sometrhing
different - I thought I was quite clear when saying "I was checking ..."

In any case, we do not have Symantec products on the server. We do also
do not have and Cisco products on our network. However, if the ISP is
using a Cisco router somewhere in the loop, would that affect our relaying
capability?

This has exactly nothing to do with anything Cisco. Your Outlook users aren't using authenticated SMTP (the default settings in Outlook doesn't enable this). If they were authenticating, they could relay. If they were configured for authenticated SMTP and had problems, they would see different issues.

You really want to make sure you use SSL or TLS encryption on SMTP if you're using authenticated SMTP. Otherwise, users will be passing their domain credentials in the clear over the Internet. One laptop user sending mail at a hot spot could be bad news.

-Chris