Relaying Problems - Exchange 2003

  • From: akk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 18:47:04 -0700

Hi all.

I?ve inherited an Exchange server that will not relay to external
addresses.  We have users who are normally on the go and they collect
their email via POP3 from our server.  When they send messages, they
normally get back an error message such as:

      'user@xxxxxxxxxx' on 4/02/2006 9:34 AM
            550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for user@xxxxxxxxxx

All the literature I?ve looked at on the Microsoft website all points to a
Cisco router as being the culprit.  However, we are using a Red Hat Linux
9 based router!  There is no other literature on Google that is shedding
any light on my current situation.

I have already double checked the relay settings and all appears to be in
order.  However, I could have missed something in my desperate attempts to
find a quick solution.  As such, please let me know what I need to add to
this message to get a resolution soon.