Pop3 allows sending messages with clear password (help!)

  • From: "Filipa Maria Pacheco Gaudencio" <fgaudencio@xxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 18:16:17 +0100

Hi everybody,
I would like to ask you two questions,
        1- are your Pop3 clients able to send messages using any account of the
domain, if they don't use the password?
        2 - how can I prevent this from happening?

If I configure a Pop3 account on OExpress, and use any account in the account
name without password, I can send messages to everybody inside the domain.

For example, my e-mail address is fgaudencio@xxxxxxx if I configure my pop3
connection to use the account name fgaudencio and the password is clear, I'm
able to send messages to everybody inside the ipg.pt.

Can you help me?

Filipa Maria Pacheco Gaudêncio