RE: Pop3 allows sending messages with clear password (help!)

  • From: "William Holmes" <wtholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:01:27 -0400

POP only receives mail, it does not send mail. SMTP is used to send mail. If
you have chosen an SMTP server that has no restrictions on sending then anyone
can send. If you have relaying on your SMTP server disabled then the users of
the SMTP server will only be able to send to local accounts.

If you would like to prevent users from sending then you need to set
appropriate restrictions on the SMTP virtual server that users have available
to them.