RE: Outlook Q

  • From: Chris Wall <Chris.Wall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 00:50:14 -0500

You can give the user access to just the one folder...   Here is how to do
it.  Please note, that you do not have to use Exchange Admin program for
this...

- In outlook (using 'Folder List' view option) right click on 'Outlook Today
- [Mailbox - Eric Lanyon]'  (or whatever your mailbox name is)
- Select 'Properties for Outlook Today....'
- Click on the Permissions tab
- Click Add ( an 'Add Users' screen will pop up)
- Select the user and add them, click OK
- Click once on the Users name that you added (back under the Permissions
tab) and assign them the rights they should have (read, writed, etc.)
- Click OK (This will not give the user rights to your entire mailbox....
You have to give the user rights to the folders under your inbox as below)

- Right Click on the folder you want the user to have access to
- Select Properties
- Click on the Permissions tab
- Click Add ( an 'Add Users' screen will pop up)
- Select the user and add them, click OK
- Click once on the Users name that you added (back under the Permissions
tab) and assign them the rights they should have (read, writed, etc.)

Now the user that you wanted to view the folder must add your mailbox to
their profile (on their PC)...  These following steps may vary depending on
the version of Outlook that you have.  These directions will work for
Outlook 97 and 2000.  For Outlook 2002 (XP) the steps are a little
different.  You may want to do a search at for the Q article on 'adding a
mailbox to your profile' for the steps for Outlook 2002 (XP) - just dont
feel like typing out those steps
- Open outlook

- Click on Tools and then Services

- Double click Microsoft Exchange Server

- Click the Advanced Tab

- Click the Add button

- Type in the Name of the mailbox 'Eric Lanyon' (or whatever your mailbox
name is)

- click OK

- Click OK

This should do it for you.  When the mailbox is added to their profile, they
will only have access to the folders that you gave them permissions to.  It
sounds like you have already given permissions to the folder you want them
to see, but you did not give them access to your 'Mailbox' or have them add
the mailbox.

        Chris Wall

        Microsoft Exchange Admin / Sr. Technical Analyst

         <http://www.globalknowledge.com/>