[ExchangeList] Re: Outlook 2007 prompting for password every time?

  • From: jatin kakkar <jatin_kakkar2003@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 22:05:09 -0800 (PST)

As per my understanding if outlook 2007 clients are prompting for password every time this is a serious issue as :

Check the System Log for a Kerberos error as shown below.

Event Type:        Error

Event Source:    Kerberos

Event Category:                None

Event ID:              4

Date:                     1/29/2008

Time:                     7:51:54 AM

User:                     N/A

The kerberos client received a KRB_AP_ERR_MODIFIED error from the server host/.  The target name used was . This indicates that the password used to encrypt the kerberos service ticket is different than that on the target server. Commonly, this is due to identically named  machine accounts in the target realm and the client realm.   Please contact your system administrator.

check for :

netmon capture is started but before you attempt to access the server:

- flush Kerberos tickets of the user using the command "klist purge" (Klist is available in the Resource Kit)

- flush the DNS name cache using "ipconfig /flushdns"

- flush the NetBIOS name cache using "nbtstat -R"

What James has also told it is a good option to try for fixing the issue....

 I hope this helps.....

Regards,

Jatin Kakkar

From: Chris Wall <Chris.Wall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wednesday, February 11, 2009, 9:48 PM

This is a simple fix.   Google finds it in just a few secs…  Answer is below.

In Outlook, select Tools, Account Settings, double click ‘Microsoft Exchange’, More Settings (button), select the Security tab, uncheck “Always Prompt for Logon Credentials”.