RE: OWA-Setup- Mr.Thomas w Shinder

  • From: "Andrew English" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 22:31:44 -0400

Let me get this straight;

1.      Your company has a network in both the USA and UK which it hosts
to (being the UK one from what I gather)
2.      Your current Exchange mail has been out sourced to another
company called CIHOST
3.      You have an ISA 200 Server in your network which is using
dial-up to connect your 25 users (56k into 25.. yikes!)
4.      You external DNS is mmt-group.com

Then you start talking about the ideal situation; what you plan to do
with your MX table on your external DNS, blah blah, honestly you should
already know what to do and be confident in doing it without telling us,
if you don't know ask but don't give a long ideal situation story. :-)

Regarding the OWA part, now that we know you out source your email to
another company, you will need to purchase a server, Windows 2000
Server, Advanced or Standard depending on your scenario and hardware
needs, you will need also purchase Exchange Server 2000 Standard or
Enterprise; again depending on your needs and configure it accordingly.

Now as far as the IP thing, you shouldn't be worrying about assigning
your Exchange server an external IP address unless you plan to run two
Exchange servers; FE and BE (Front End and Back End); The Front End
generally sits on the DMZ of your ISA box while the back end sits behind
it, but if you are using just one Exchange server I think it would be
best to put behind your ISA server and level ISA do the bulk of the
work.

To answer your IIS and OWA question. You can't run Exchange without
having IIS installed. OWA is just a built-in component of Exchange that
gets installed into the default website under IIS. How it gets connected
to the net it up to you and how you configure your ISA server.

Andrew