Re: OT: Intranet vs. Extranet

  • From: "A. M. Salim" <msalim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 09:17:22 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

> I am wondering if someone can help me with some information. Someone in
> my organisation is suggesting that I am wrong in calling our staff'
> website "an intranet". The site contains an events calendar, a news
> section and access to other resources that relate to our single
> organisation. Only the staff in our organisation have access to it.
> However, they do have access to it from home using a Username and
> Password if they are connected to the internet.

Strictly speaking, an Intranet is located on the IP addresses defined in
RFC 1918 (http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1918.html).  These addresses are
"private" IP addresses which cannot be accessed from the Intenet period,
password or no password (try accessing my desktop's internal IP address of
192.168.1.16 and see what happens (the error you get is not because of my
firewall or any password scheme, but your own ISP's router which blocks
these pre-defined internal addresses).

What you describe is more like an "extranet" which is functionally like an
intranet except that it is located on a "public IP address" which is
accessible from the Internet, and the password is optional (but is almost
always there otherwise why call it an extranet?!).

The password alone does not make a site into an intranet, nor it's
functionality such as service up a company's internal apps to it's
employees).

best regards
Mike Salim