Re: Moving E2K to a new hardware

  • From: Saud <saud@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 00:15:52 +0300

Hi,
can you tell me some tips about moving a e2k installed an a computer with a SCSI controller to a new one with a SCSI smart-array contoller. I must preserve Active Directory account and exchange mailboxes.

Are you talking about moving e2k to the new server or a new server with fresh installation that needs active directory transferred to it ? Here is my experience : After struggling for a while with MS support site and asking questions here and there. I realized that there is no way you can transfer AD to another server. One thing I tried,is installing the new server (different hardware) then promote it with DCpromo to a member of and existing domain and let it replicate. AD users were there on the new server. Then I removed the old server and tried to install e2k but unfortunately it displayed a message that it doesn't see AD !! I connected the old server again and tried to demote it to a member of the domain and guess what ? that can't be done without removing AD ! That wasn't logical but it happened. Again I removed the old server and tried to dcpromo the new one to a domain controller but that can be done after removing AD. A loop that never ends ! AD must be removed first!! My last decision was to backup exchange server mailboxes or dump them to PST files and transfer them to the new server and at the same time I will create all the users accounts from scratch and reset their passwords.

Regards
Saud