Re: Moving E2K to a new hardware

  • From: "James Barr" <JamesB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 22:50:09 +0100

You can move AD to a new server by installing a new server and promoting it
to a DC. What you then must do is move the FMSO roles from the old server to
the new server before you dcpromo the old server out of the domain this will
work. If you don't move the FMSO roles before removing the original server
you will never be able to install exchange as it won't be able to contact
the Schema Master.

To move exchange while both old and new servers are online you could install
exchange on the new DC then move the mailboxes.

The other way to do it would be to perform a backup and restore. I'm
presuming as you are using a smart array controller that both the servers
are compaq proliants?

First install the new array controller into one of the PCI slots of the old
server(don't connect it to any of the drives. Then run the latest compaq
support pack. This will install the driver for the array controller onto the
old system. Then stop all the exchange services on the old server and
perform a full backup using your favourite backup software this must include
the system state and all drives.

Move the new array controller to the new server install win2k and your
backup software and perform a full restore including system state.

Then reboot the old server and run the latest compaq support pack and
service pack win2k.

James