RE: Blacklist message

  • From: "Holstrom, Don J." <DHolstrom@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:04:51 -0500

Blacklists are being used as revenge by those without lives against those
who do. Once you get on a list, it is more often than not an exercise in
futility to beg for removal. They have all sorts of hoops (some closed off)
to jump through. Sometimes having your external IP address changed is the
only way to get off. And even then you may have to go outside the whole
block of IP addresses.

Just as the ersatz pilots who took down the Twin Towers in NYC on 9-11 and
thereby with thanks to Ashcroft et al have succeeded in getting our freedom
abridged anyway, so the spammers have taken control of our e-mail lives.
Even the bulk USPS mailers couldn't do this, because we simply trash their
garbage. But my users, and probably many of yours, apparently don't know
where the delete key resides. They just don't want any spam at all. And you
can't really blame them. So I try to help them out and end up closing off
some legitimate e-mail. False positives abound. I am the systems
administrator at the National Building Museum and right now my users cannot
e-mail anyone at the Smithsonian Museum. Using a spam database scanner to
see if my IP address was clean brought up positives with two databases, one
of which is used by the Smithsonian as their spam blocker.

One of the two databases says it is because we do not have reverse DNS. But
if you enable this there are others who cannot then e-mail you I just read
and I have heard other administrators say to not enable it as there is no
upside to it.

Now I know there are spam blockers out there that many of you are using that
may or may not be doing the trick. But spammers are a clever lot (just as
the creators of worms and such are certainly brighter than me) and they will
figure a way in. And as I finish up this end-of-the-week rant the
Do-Not-Call list comes to mind. Big deal. It's pretty worthless even if they
let it stand. Polls and surveys and politicians are exempt. If I want to
sell you something, I'll call you any way and tell you I am conducting a
survey. I get these calls here at the Museum all the time now and: "We're
just updating our records" has changed to "I'm taking a survey." Same thing,
they still want me to buy something.

What I really need is a beer or two and the comforts of my wife, children,
and dog, not necessarily in that order...