[etni] Re: male and female teachers

  • From: Lev Abramov <lev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thegreens@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:53:24 +0200

Howard,

as a matter of fact, male and female teachers DO get paid equally for
their teaching work. I mean, EQUALLY LITTLE.  So if it's the
so-called"second income" (which does NOT mean "the second of the two
similarly-sized incomes" - but rather "the much smaller income of the
two earned by the couple, with the other one being so incomparably
larger that the size of the smaller income can be simply ignored") it is
probably all right for all practical purposes. I know a few families
where the husband is a doctor, or a lawyer, making 20-30K a month; under
the circumstances, it does not matter much if the wife makes 3K or 4K
teaching at school. However, if the "first income" made by the husband
is 3-4-5K because he, too, happens to be a teacher, then every shekel
the whife makes is of great importance. This probably is the situation
Orly was talking about.

It is also the situation in my family: we both teach. Of course we
realize that 3-4-5K each of us would be making if we worked only in
school would not sustain us. Hence, we both work in [much] more than one
place. There have been years when I requested a tax return by submitting
7-8-9 income tax forms; can you picture a lawyer, a doctor or an
engineer working short-term for 7-8-9 employers during one year?!

If an extraterrestrial came to the Earth to study the human culture and
used this aspect as an evaluation criterion for assessing the importance
of different professions, what conclusion would it come to?!

--

Lev ABRAMOV lev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:lev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Weblog:
http://endangeredspecies.schiffman.biz

"It is the difference of opinion that makes horse races." (Mark Twain)