[etni] male and female teachers

  • From: Orly Sela <gosela@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 17:44:13 +0200

Dear Hanan & Everyone,

Don't worry, I am not going to attack you like you wrote at the end of your
letter. In fact, I agree with many things you have written. However, you
made one comment which I feel cannot be left unanswered.

"A male teacher, whose first income is teaching, cannot be expected to make
a living
with the low pay you and I receive."

And a female teacher can??!!

What difference does it make if the receiver of the salary is male or
female? If the salary is too low to support a family than it is too low,
regardless of the teacher's gender.

It is precisely people who think this way that have invented the terrible
term "second salary". What does that mean? In my family, I suspect like in
most Israeli families, there are two adults, both of whom work outside the
home and earn a salary. These salaries both go into a joint bank account
from which all family expenses are paid. What exactly makes my salary less
important than my partner's?

People, if we treat ourselves as second best and less important, why should
anyone else treat us differently? Let's fight for higher salaries, not for
male or female teachers, but for teachers!!!

Orly Sela