[etni] Re: etni Digest V3 #56

  • From: Dena Livne <livne690@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 13:48:22 +0200

Bari,
I read  your comments on the "process" of the project and couldn't help but
smile (although crying might have been more to the point) at the familiarity
your woes.  The saddest/funniest part is that really, everything you wrote
about are things that we all know happen, and happen all the time.  It's
hard enough to cope with in "normal" planned lessons, when half the kids
from one class or another are absent.  But with we are working with a
project - these problems are ...well, let's say even more annoying...and
they make the work extremely difficult.  Our school, Haddassim, has actually
been doing projects for years.  We were part of a pilot programme that the
Ministry funded to see if projects "worked".  At the end of our three year
pilot, we explained that, in our humble opinion, they worked only in
relatively small classes (25 or less) and with extra hours given (for which
we would be paid) so that groups could make up work.  Needless to say, our
comments were simply ignored.  So, today we find ourselves in classes of 40
students, with no extra lessons, trying to do the impossible.
Having said all the above, I have to tell you that in our 12th grade 5 point
classes this year we did our second project, but it was NOT in groups, but
rather each student worked individually.  This meant hours more of marking,
but the class work was easier for obvious reasons.  So, is this a solution?
Who knows.
Dena