[etni] Re: dictionaries

  • From: Gail Mann <gail@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: ybmedad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, sharontzu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 08:26:55 +0200

Hi all,

On the issue of dictionaries and which dictionary to use, here is some
interesting research:

WHAT LEXICAL INFORMATION DO L2 LEARNERS SELECT IN A CALL DICTIONARY
AND HOW DOES IT AFFECT WORD RETENTION?
Batia Laufer - University of Haifa
Monica Hill - University of Hong Kong

Results suggest that different people have different lookup
preferences and that the use of multiple dictionary information seems
to reinforce retention. The teaching implication is, therefore, to
provide a variety of lookup options catering to different lookup
preferences in paper or CALL dictionaries when assigning tasks that
involve reading comprehension and understanding of unfamiliar words.

http://llt.msu.edu/vol3num2/laufer-hill/

Gail