[etni] Re: changes

  • From: Galia Kaspi-Sprung <gkaspi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 20:50:36 +0200

I do not welcome a 5 day work week and longer days. Not with the present
conditions in most schools.
As it is, schools are crowded. We have no place where teachers can sit quietly
and do work during "free" hours. I barely have enough space to keep my books
and papers. Actually, I don't have. I just "took over" an empty "cubby hole" we
have in lieu of desks, cabinets, shelves, etc. There is no place to sit and
work with students. The library is also crowded or being used for lectures and
movies.

Kids who have sports lessons in the morning are sweaty and smelly all day long.
There's no comfortable place to sit and eat a decent meal. There's constant
noise and commotion.

When's the last time someone upstairs taught a class till 3pm or even later?
It's not America. We never thought of our last lesson as being "too late" for
proper attention and concentration. But we started later, had lunch periods,
showers after PE and fewer classes in general and much less pressure. Sure we
had 6 periods a day, one of which was lunch, one was PE, one was an elective -
maybe even study hall (where we actually DID study and do homework).

What about the schools who don't yet have air conditioning?

That's my opinion.

Galia Kaspi-Sprung