[etni] Re: "book activities" and E Books - what would you do?

  • From: Lev Abramov <lev.abramov@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: saragabai@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 18:52:54 +0300

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 4:10 PM, sara g <saragabai@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ---snip---

> so there were 5 kids who read E Books on their  laptop/ I Pod/ I Pad
> whatever. would you let them do the book report? i do NOT want them doing
> an
> assignment with an electronic gadget in front of them - too easy to copy .
> but, on the other hand, why shouldn't they read an E Book? and i am sure
> that most of the 5 really read the book!   what i did was tell them (a week
> or so ago, when they asked me about the E Books) that they could read them
> but would have to bring at least the first chapter - printed - to class
> with
> them, and that is what they would quote from .

Sara, you could have asked them to forward the texts (or links) to you so
that you could familiarize yourself with the ebooks. If these books are in
proprietary protected format and cannot be shared, then you probably cannot
expect them to print these books out either.

If the books are printable, you could have asked the kids to use a virtual
printer like CutePDF_Writer to "print" the text of the books into PDF files
which they could then send you; you could then browse thetexts on your
laptop (I assume you have access to one) in the classroom while they were
reaing and doing the assignments.

In any case, you should have made it clear that using ebooks was
commendable, and should have encouraged the rest of the class to follow
suit. Asking for a printout was not educational from at least one point of
them to waste some paper ("Save a tree" - remember?). :(

The least that could have been done was to ask the kids in advance whether
they were going to use a hard copy or an ebook; you could then discuss the
issue with the ETNI community _before_ this lesson took place.

Ah well, better later than never. I wonder how many of the ETNIfolk use
electronic media for teaching literature and in general for communicating
with the pupils.

Best -

Lev
--
Lev ABRAMOV
http://il.linkedin.com/in/levabramov

Visit my new forum for English teachers:
http://schiffman.biz/away/forum/

** The ETNI Rag **
http://www.etni.org/etnirag/
Much more than just a journal