[etni] Re: "book activities" and E Books - what would you do?

  • From: "Adele P. Raemer " <raemer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <saragabai@xxxxxxxxx>, <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 07:31:24 +0300

Regarding Sara's book report question:

It all depends on what you have them do. For example, in our classes a
colleague and I had the kids open the book to the last 10 pages, and copy
the last three sentences on the page. Then they had to write a 3 paragraph
composition:
Paragraph 1: What is now happening in the story (Explain what is happening,
where it is happening, who is involved - using present progressive)
Paragraph 2: They had to describe what happened just prior to this incident.
(using past tense)
Paragraph 3: Describe what will happen AFTER this incident. (using future)
(Credit to my colleague Lily for this idea!)

This makes no difference if the book is an ebook, or a recorded book, or any
other form! This is all in addition to the other work they do for the book
report WHILE reading it (preparing a mini-dictionary, a sort of a sociogram
keeping track of the characters, and a basic explanation of the setting.
This is done on draft pages, written by hand during the time they are
reading, and typed up , handed in with a cover page and table of Contents on
the day they do the "quiz" (described above) in class, with the books.

It is commendable that we encourage and find how to take advantage of any of
these technologies in our classrooms. After all  - THIS is the "language" or
media of our students' generation! WE need to find ways to encourage and
take advantage of it whenever possible - not to be afraid of it.

Adele

** The ETNI Rag **
http://www.etni.org/etnirag/
Much more than just a journal