[etni] Fw: re: "book activities" and E Books - what would you do? and "Address Unknown"

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 21:13:43 +0300

----- Original Message -----
From: sara g - saragabai@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: "book activities" and E Books - what would you do? and "Address
Unknown"

OK - I have no problem with their READING an E Book. (Didn't I say that?)

BUT when they are writing an in-class writing assignment on the book
(actually a test ) and they need the book, in order to quote and check
things (because it isn't a test of remembering the book, it is on
understanding,)  I am not happy when they have the book on their I Pad and
can access reviews and articles about it, and  copy from them.

I suppose I could have assignments that are more specifically adapted to E
Books for them - I was just taken by surprise today.

Next year we will read "Address Unknown" and I am sure a lot of them will
have it as an E Book. But The lessons will be built  in such a way that that
will not be a problem (i hope).

btw - has anyone taught "Address Unknown" and do you have any ideas /
worksheets i can use?

         sara g

Sara wrote:
> My 10th grade accelerated class had to write "book reports" today. The way
we do this is that they bring the book with them, and have one question
based on a quote from the book, and one essay on a general subject as it is
seen in the book (conflict, characters, plot etc.) / If they do not bring
the book, they can not do the assignment. this way, i hope that we are more
or less making sure that they read the book, and didn't read it in hebrew or
see the movie.
> so there were 5 kids who read E Books on their  laptop/ I Pod/ I Pad
whatever. would you let them do the book report? i do NOT want them doing an
assignment with an electronic gadget in front of them - too easy to copy .
but, on the other hand, why shouldn't they read an E Book? and i am sure
that most of the 5 really read the book!   what i did was tell them (a week
or so ago, when they asked me about the E Books) that they could read them
but would have to bring at least the first chapter - printed - to class with
them, and that is what they would quote from .
> has anyone else had a problem like this?  do you let your students read e
books for extensive reading? if so, what assignments do you give them?

** The ETNI Rag **
http://www.etni.org/etnirag/
Much more than just a journal