[etni] Winter Bagrut

  • From: Mitzi Geffen <mitzi1002001@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 21:55:53 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,
       I agree with Ariella's evaluation of yesterday's exams. I think many of
our 3 point students taking the C exam would have had a hard time answering
"What is the purpose of the first paragraph?" even had the passage and the
question been written in Hebrew! That question could have been more fair as a
multiple choice or phrased, "What does the author explain in the first
paragraph?"
     As for the oral bagrut - I've been a long time champion of projects. I
think the process of doing them, providing the entire project is done in class,
is a fabulous way to improve the kids' English. It's true that the exam is very
subjective and lacking quality control, but I think that has been true in the
past and would be true of any oral exam unless we find some way to write a very
specific, clear rubric for grading the exam. Perhaps two testers sitting in on
the exam would help, though that is rather impractical. The bottom line is that
the fact that there is an oral exam forces the kids to practice explaining
something and talking about themselves, and that is a very good thing, in my
opinion.
       Onward to the summer bagrut!
              Mitzi