[etni] Re: Project Problems

  • From: "Bari Nirenberg" <nirenber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "sarag" <sarag@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 21:27:39 +0200

1.5 to 2 months of working every day or only once a week?  My kids did
project work every day for two weeks, which is what is suggested both in the
project guidelines and in the NBA handbook (8 lessons, actually -- mine did
9).  They couldn't do any of the videotaping or even working with the
videotapes in school -- they did that part at home.  They also did the
interviews at home (though they wrote the questions in class).  The
summarizing was done in class (apart from the groups who didn't bring
material to class and now have to do ALL of the work at home).  I don't know
how long the oral presentations will be yet, but I'm assuming they'll be
between 5 and 10 minutes each.  There will be 9 all together (there ended up
being 9 groups of 4 and 1 student who didn't do a project because she didn't
bother telling me that she'd be abroad for the entire 2 weeks).

I have to say that working in groups helped them tremendously (apart from
the problems that I mentioned in my previous emails, of course).  There was
a lot of interaction and they spent a lot of time explaining things to each
other (meaning that there was a lot less for me to explain).  At least a
couple of the groups were obviously having a very good time throughout the
entire project (the same two groups that started working right at the
beginning and were always busy).  They called me over repeatedly, not to ask
questions, but rather to share some of what they had learned with me.  There
WERE a few high points to this experience, but I still need to think about
ways to work out the difficulties of absent students and lazy students.

Oh, and most important of all, I now know that you do not need to speak
Hebrew (or any other language) to talk to people in Israel.  Among other
things, I now know how to say "I'll call you later" without saying a word.
I actually asked a bunch of students in different classes what I was
"saying" and every single one understood immediately.  It goes like this:
roll your hands around each other, point to yourself, hold your hand up next
to your face with your pinky pointing at your mouth and your thumb pointing
at your ear and then point to the person you're "talking" to.  And if you're
ever in China, don't say "come here" by holding out your index finger and
moving it back and forth.  The Chinese only call animals that way.

Bari