[etni] Re: Lots of Hot issues

  • From: sara g <saragabai@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tessashrem@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 12:07:41 +0300

Last summer we tried to meet with Nurit Valenci from the Irgun, and then a
few teachers met with Ran Erez. I know teachers from Jerusalem have been
keeping up the ... should we call it -  fight? struggle? And a lot of us,
from all over the country, have been sending letters..
But I agree with Tessa - here we are after almost TWO years of sanctions,
and not much has been happening.

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 3:35 PM, tessa shrem <tessashrem@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
> all
> the other very real and very justified moans and groans of English
> teachers,
> are heating up again.  GOOD!
>

> The extra work-load is impossible to bear.  Other people have mentioned the
> projects, which if done as they are supposed to be done, involve a
> tremendous amount of marking and re-marking, plus a lot of time, which we
> really don't have, spent on this in class.  And yes, we didn't threaten to
> strike when the NBA began, but on this list we complained to each other
> about how time-consuming it was and what the problems were.  And yes, we
> didn't threaten to strike when the modular Bagrut came in, although we
> really should have.  As Jimmy pointed out a few days ago, the extra
> administrative work is an absolute nightmare, with pupils being able to
> repeat exams over and over again.  And really, what is the educational
> rationale of allowing pupils to repeat a particular exam 4 or 5 times? We
> know these exams ? the pupils are bound to hit one that is easier and will
> finally get a mark they and their parents can live with. It is very
> difficult to refute the argument that has been put forward, that the
> rationale is only to raise the Bagrut average and/or the number of pupils
> who succeed in passing the Bagrut.  If the same system were used as is used
> at University, where the last mark is the one that counts, at least 90% of
> this problem would disappear.
>

> But to return to the HOTS, which is the only issue that we put up a fight
> about.  Call it the straw that broke the camel's back, call it an objection
> on real pedagogical grounds, call it once again, too much extra work, call
> it putting the emphasis on the wrong thing ? call it all of these.  The one
> thing that strikes me from conversations with MANY teachers, is that there
> is still an enormous number of teachers who ARE AGAINST THE PROGRAM AND DO
> NOT WANT TO IMPLEMENT IT!!!  Surely the Ministry must understand that with
> that kind of opposition, it cannot succeed.  What's the point of digging in
> their heels and forcing it down our throats?  Even if, gagging and spitting
> we are forced to implement it, will it go down well?
>

> So where do we go from here?  There are some people who have suggested
> writing letters, or meeting with the Union and the Ministry ? but we've
> done
> all that.  Some suggested asking ETAI to become involved.  A bad idea ?
> ETAI
> cannot take sides here.  It's important that ETAI remain on the side-lines.
>  Of course, we can and must use the ETAI conference to meet informally and
> try to decide on a plan of action.
>

> I started this post by saying that I don't know what we can do.  I say that
> again, and ask for other suggestions.  I don't want us to give the
> impression to the Ministry that if we keep quiet for long enough, they
> should understand that we are backing down.

sara g in israel
sarag@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
saragabai@xxxxxxxxx
Visit us at The E Zone