[etni] Lots of Hot issues

  • From: tessa shrem <tessashrem@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 15:35:26 +0300

Hi Etnians,

I've been off the list for a while now -  partly waiting till Shoshani
finally gives his decision, and partly because I don't really know what to
do.  Not that I am now any wiser, but it seems that the HOTS issue, plus all
the other very real and very justified moans and groans of English teachers,
are heating up again.  GOOD!

The extra work-load is impossible to bear.  Other people have mentioned the
projects, which if done as they are supposed to be done, involve a
tremendous amount of marking and re-marking, plus a lot of time, which we
really don't have, spent on this in class.  And yes, we didn't threaten to
strike when the NBA began, but on this list we complained to each other
about how time-consuming it was and what the problems were.  And yes, we
didn't threaten to strike when the modular Bagrut came in, although we
really should have.  As Jimmy pointed out a few days ago, the extra
administrative work is an absolute nightmare, with pupils being able to
repeat exams over and over again.  And really, what is the educational
rationale of allowing pupils to repeat a particular exam 4 or 5 times? We
know these exams ? the pupils are bound to hit one that is easier and will
finally get a mark they and their parents can live with. It is very
difficult to refute the argument that has been put forward, that the
rationale is only to raise the Bagrut average and/or the number of pupils
who succeed in passing the Bagrut.  If the same system were used as is used
at University, where the last mark is the one that counts, at least 90% of
this problem would disappear.

But to return to the HOTS, which is the only issue that we put up a fight
about.  Call it the straw that broke the camel's back, call it an objection
on real pedagogical grounds, call it once again, too much extra work, call
it putting the emphasis on the wrong thing ? call it all of these.  The one
thing that strikes me from conversations with MANY teachers, is that there
is still an enormous number of teachers who ARE AGAINST THE PROGRAM AND DO
NOT WANT TO IMPLEMENT IT!!!  Surely the Ministry must understand that with
that kind of opposition, it cannot succeed.  What's the point of digging in
their heels and forcing it down our throats?  Even if, gagging and spitting
we are forced to implement it, will it go down well?

So where do we go from here?  There are some people who have suggested
writing letters, or meeting with the Union and the Ministry ? but we've done
all that.  Some suggested asking ETAI to become involved.  A bad idea ? ETAI
cannot take sides here.  It's important that ETAI remain on the side-lines.
 Of course, we can and must use the ETAI conference to meet informally and
try to decide on a plan of action.

I started this post by saying that I don't know what we can do.  I say that
again, and ask for other suggestions.  I don't want us to give the
impression to the Ministry that if we keep quiet for long enough, they
should understand that we are backing down.

Regards,

Tessa

** The ETNI Rag **
http://www.etni.org/etnirag/