[etni] Fw: re: Back to basics

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 17:16:37 +0300

----- Original Message -----
From: LindaKM - lindakm09@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Back to basics

I am so relieved to see so many teachers who agree that the "tziun shnati"
should be done away with. What can be done to bring about its demise??? I am
serious!
Hoping to get ideas that can be implemented...
Linda Kuras Mizrahi

Batya wrote:
> It's gratifying to hear that other esteemed colleagues are also calling
> for
a back to basics approach in teaching EFL, especially because we are not
fooled by relatively higher marks on the modular Bagrut exams than were
achieved in 'the good old days' when students were better tested on their
ability in English.
> However, we teachers have a luxury that the MOE can't afford: while we can
be concerned about the alarming downward trend in EFL proficiency and try to
somehow stem the tide, the MOE has to show results -- and fast!  So ...
enter the modular system, in which a student may retake the exam until he
can shove a score under his teacher's nose and bemoan that he got more than
the teacher gave.
> (We're hoping the MOE will realize that it's best to do away with the
farcical tziuneh shnati -- or at least tell us outright that every student
should receive a minimum bonus of  X number of points.  How's that for
standardization?!)
> Theoretically, we should be able to affect a change -- a return to basics
first and foremost (before other demands are made on our time), but it seems
that only a quick fix, put on a bandage approach is popular these days.
> It would be so refreshing to have hishtalmut courses on how to effectively
deal with the current phenomenon, but that would require an admission that
all is not well -- and in one way or another, the ever-convenient scapegoat
(hint: the word rhymes with 'creature')would have to absorb the blame!
> If anyone has positive ideas about how we can truly reverse the sorry
> trend
(within the confines of our limited teaching time), let's discuss them!

** The ETNI Rag **
http://www.etni.org/etnirag/
Much more than just a journal