[etni] Lost in translation

  • From: "Barnett" <barnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 00:05:33 +0300

Hi etniers,

Here are some of my favourites caused by misuse of dictionaries.

Classic blooper:"I went to the shop and bought a kilo of heavy" (meaning
"liver" - kaved). Jewish-interest bloopers: I ritual bath that I will pass
the exam (meaning "hope" – mikve/mekave) He did not say one circumcision
(meaning "word" - milah).

On the subject of subtitles, another curiosity. There is a scene in the film
of "The French Lieutenant's Woman," in which a member of the hotel staff at
the reception desk (late 19th century and very Victorian decor, note) says
in relation to the sick woman, "We should call the doctor". The subtitle was
"Tzarich le’talfen la rofeh" i.e. “We should telephone the doctor”.

Joe Barnett

Checked by AVG.
19:16